Not Your Grandmother's Grilled Green Tomatoes
Green tomatoes are a staple all around the country. Fresh or fried they taste fantastic. But, have you ever had them grilled? Try this recipe out to see how the simple green tomato can be the best dish at the grill-out.
- 2 large sweet peppers
- 3 large green tomatoes
- A quarter cup of jalapeños
- 1 teaspoon of finely chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper
To set this recipe apart we’re going to prepare a Spicy Yellow Pepper Sauce in the kitchen:
- Before you head out to the tailgate, trim off the tops of the sweet peppers and quarter them. Add them to a grill pan or bake them, and cook until charred and softened.
- Take these peppers with the jalapenos and parsley, and put them into a food processor until they blend into a sauce. Put this mixture in a sealable container.
Time to Grill Out:
Now that we have our sauce prepared we can use it to complete the dish:
- Preheat a grill pan on a medium heat.
- Slice your tomatoes about a quarter inch thick.
- Brush one side of the slices with oil and lay them in the grill pan with the oil side down.
- Cook for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Brush the tops of the tomatoes with the oil and flip them.
- Add your salt and pepper.
- This is where you add the Spicy Yellow Pepper Sauce to the pan with the tomatoes. Just keep it on the grill long enough for the sauce to seep into the tomatoes and warm up. Make sure your tomatoes stay just slightly firm enough for you to eat with a fork.
It takes a little bit of prep, but you’re not going to regret this one. Try out this recipe for a whole new take on the green tomato. You’ll find out that grilled is the way they were meant to be.